Words, Text & Thoughts

10/13/2010 10:17:00 AM

Lately I've been feeling like in order to have a good post I needed to have graphics, photos, illustration, and the like. But, way back in the day when I was much better at blogging regularly pictures were a perk, not something to be excepted. No worries, I'm not going back to that because I absolutely love posting pictures. However, today I'm just sharing some thoughts that have been knocking around in my head for a little while.

Note: You will probably end up getting a few pictures because I think that's the best way to communicate. Case in point, this next paragraph.

I'm reading a book (by reading I mean listening to an audio book). My dad put everyone he knew on to this book. "Switch, how to change when change is hard" by Chip & Dan Heath.



Amazon.com

My dad is a respected person in his industry of work and among his peers, so I was interested in what all the talk way about. He gave my brother the audio book and that's how I got my hands on it. The book gives some interesting perspective on things that I have noticed, but have never given much attention to. It speaks a lot about how to get something to happen you have to be emotionally driven, not logically driven. Because, no matter how much we know somethng should change, we don't actually make it happen until we have drive and we are by driven our emotional side. (my words, not theirs.)

In one of the chapters they talk about how there are two different kinds of attitudes a "still mindset" and a "growing mindset". Basically, a growing mindset believes that they are always capable of changing to become better; whereas, a still mindset believes that you are only as good as you come and that if you weren't meant to do something than you won't do it. Clearly, they are bias to the growing mindset. I was a little disturbed because I believe, in part, that some people really aren't capable of changing. But, I guess that's a mindset those people have. If I did have that mindset, I can't have that mindset anymore. I have to be open to adventures that I'm not always comfortable with. And now I feel overwhelmed. Haha.

Like I said, this is only my take on the book. And only a teeny, tiny piece of the information that comes from it. But, I'm liking it. I might even listen to it again or buy the book for reference purposes.

Note the change of subject...

I believe that careers are like marriages. Let me explain.

Some people go their whole life trying to find the perfect person to marry. Some people go their whole life trying to find a career that makes them happy. I don't think there is much different in the two things. I believe you can fall in love with your work. When a marriage is working well, it's because two people are in love with either other. They respect each other. The compliment each other. They bring out the best in each other. I REALLY BELIEVE a career can have the exact same effects. Once you find the things that complements you so well that it makes you a better person, you have to grab hold of it. Grow with it. Live for it. Love it. If it can bring out the best in you, than you can pull out the best in it. If the career you find compliments who you are as a person, who you are as a person will wear nicely on your worklife.  Promise Tangeman is a perfect example of someone who has fallen in love with her career. She has brought her personal and spiritual life into it in an awesome way and she's rocking it. I admire & respect her so much for that. (I talk like I know this woman, I don't know her, I just really admire her.)

Consequently, I have found a few things that I love. I am doing everything I can to laydown a path that will lead me to success. However, I continuously feel like others are happiers, more fulfilled, and getting it right before me. But, I'm getting there. I'm finding that love one day at a time.

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.”

- Lao Tzu quotes

“Beginning is easy - continuing hard”

- Japanese Proverb quotes

Quotes from thinkexist.com

Nothing happens in one day. Everything takes days, weeks, months, years to build. It's continuing on that is hard. If you keep on keeping on anything is possible. Every decision leads you in one direction or another.

You Might Also Like

1 comment(s)

  1. i meant to comment on this before - i really like this entry!

    ReplyDelete

STAY IN TOUCH


SUBSCRIBE

THANK YOU

Thank you for taking the time to explore the blog. Your support and friendship mean more to me than you may know. God Bless! xoxo