this little life of ours

I'm calling it quits.

11/25/2014 02:15:00 PM

Six years, five months, and 29 days ago I started my first full time job as an Administrative Assistance for an engineering firm I'd worked for on and off again through high school and college. I hadn't landed the perfect marketing job just yet, this job was a temporary place to land until I found something better. Two days after starting the job, I stood in the doorway of a work colleague and told her, "if I'm still here in a year... have me fired."

I wasn't an Admin Assistant for long, six month later I was asked to join the Sales and Marketing team and the rest is a long story about who I am today.

A lot happened over the last six and a half years - a lot both personally and professionally - and a lot of that is to be contributed to the job I was never suppose to keep for longer than a summer.  But, today, Tuesday, November 25, 2014, I will be turning to the next chapter in my life. With joy, hope, fear, and appreciation of where I started and what lays ahead of me.

These moments in life tend to make me reflect on all of the small parts of life that have placed me here. The moments I didn't realize were significant that turned out to be life altering or just moments that I will always keep in my memory.

Moments and memories like these:

  • My first real desk on the eighth floor, where I met my husband and one of my best friends. 
  • Spending many after-hours, getting to know David before I ever imaged we'd create a family together. 
  • Moving offices four, five, six times...so many I can't count. 
  • The year I spent supervising a handful of ladies and understanding the struggles and joys of being a supervisor. 
  • Traveling for work. The excitement that was involved with my first business trip to the daunting aggravation that became regular, full flight trips to Houston. 
  • Office girl chats and how finding a real friend in the office is one of life's little blessings. 
  • Nights of volleyball followed by drinks at The Bulldog before we all started families and got too busy to collect pint glasses on Wednesday nights. 
  • Spending so much time in Microsoft Office I had dreams about formatting documents. 
  • Learning that all organizations have a little dis-function, but that's also the beauty of being human and working with different personality. It's what's in people's heart that really counts. 
  • Working with vendors, colleagues, designers, and business owners who have all left a significant impression on who I am and who I want to be. 
  • Coming to realize that when no one has an answer, you can find the answer for yourself. 

Six and a half years, the longest I have ever done anything - to date. Though job roles and responsibilities have changed this place has been the most permanent piece of my adult life. It is with hope and fear I close this chapter of my life. I will say a little prayer and take a leap of faith, as long as God has a hand in this, I know I'm on the right track.

Here's to the next chapter...






You Might Also Like

0 comment(s)

STAY IN TOUCH


SUBSCRIBE

THANK YOU

Thank you for taking the time to explore the blog. Your support and friendship mean more to me than you may know. God Bless! xoxo