Sales and Friendship

6/16/2014 11:27:00 AM

Chapter one.
Sales

When I first came into the business world in pursuit of a marketing career the first forks in the road was the choice between Sales vs. Marketing. These jobs are too often thrown together like they are the same thing, like they are the same job, au contraire.   t h e y   a r e   n o t .  I wear tennis shoes and socks when I go run, but I need them both for very separate reasons.  Marketing and Sales are a little bit like that, they work together well but one can't be used instead of the other (ohh the blisters).  As a Marketing professional I could discuss this topic for hours ad nauseum, but I will spare you the gore (mostly).

When I met this fork years ago, I was given a multiple choice test on my sales abilities (I love analytical test that tell you things you already know about yourself in a new way - not being sarcastic! LOL) I wish I still had the results, I just remember the overall outcome: I am really good at maintaining relationship but not so awesome at talking to people about money or 'closing the deal.' Anyways, the latter two removed me from the sales path, you know, just another path I would have gone down and been pretty bad at before realizing that there are some things that should just be left for other people to do (like debate team or being a blonde). I should really write a thank you letter to that multiple choice test.

All of that to say, I already knew I wanted to create, to be a brain-stormer, a problem-solver... Making small talk with perfect strangers has always felt like work to me and isn't that what Sales is? (Okay, okay, it's taking me a long time to get to my point…)

Chapter two.
Friendship

"I'm not good at making new friends" I explained to a best friend, "but I'm really good at harvesting friendships that last," I justified. This thought is something I always knew about myself, but it wasn't until I started to reflect on how I have made new friends that I realized this.

(Topic to discuss on a later date: Making friends when all the people in your life are at different stages of their life.)

Honestly, I think my general approach to making friends has been this: Create a life that people want to be a part of and the people who are attracted to your life will want to be friends. When you are meant to be friends, the friendship manifests itself due to a general respect and overall enjoyment of each others company - you want them to be part of your life, they want you to be part of theirs... before you know it, the friendship is natrually born. And, for the most part, this approach to creating friendships has proven to be successful.

Chapter three.
The eureka moment, or something

W a i t  a  m i n u t e , can my approach to making friends and my inability for sales actually work together in my favor?  Is my marketing approach similar to that of my friend approach?

In marketing the goal is to create an environment that entices others to want to be part of your brand. Once your brand is something others want as part of their life, then sales (convincing) is not as necessary. Sure, all great relationships require an investment of time and money by both parties, but it's a mutual and joyful give and take.

Just like friendships…

Let' try a little mad gab here…
In marketing relationships the goal is to create an environment a life that entices others to want to be part of your brand in a relationship/friendship with you.  Once your brand life is something others want as part of their life, then sales (convincing) small talk is not as necessary. Sure, all great relationships require an investment of time and money by both parties, but it's a mutual and joyful give and take.



The thing is I own my own business now and I've been struggling with the idea of Sales by way of cold calls and soliciting - that's just not me. It's not how I see this brand being built.  So, this epiphany is quite a relief…

I'm not going to be a sales person. What I'm going to do is share my business goals and talents with others so that they can choose if they want to be a part of it.  If it's the right fit for their life, their business, their story, then we will work together. I'm sure there will be times that sharing and being a sales person might look like the same thing from the outside, but honestly I think this approach will make all the difference for me.

I'm going to be working my butt off to make Spill Love something people want as part of their life. And when you feel it happen, when you feel yourself wanting to be connected with Spill Love, you'll know I have become a success.

Not the end...


You Might Also Like

1 comment(s)

STAY IN TOUCH


SUBSCRIBE

THANK YOU

Thank you for taking the time to explore the blog. Your support and friendship mean more to me than you may know. God Bless! xoxo